The way to my heart is through my stomach - figuratively, metaphorically, and literally.

Monday, December 26, 2011

Food?


You are what you eat.

What is that saying, really?  I am food?  I am drink?  I know what I enjoy, and here I will attempt to chronicle at least some of them in hopefully not too bad incessant ramblings.  I am a jack of all trades, master of some.  I do try to pride myself in being someone of a polymath, a modern renaissance man of sorts, though there is so much more to learn.

Roughly speaking, food falls into four different main categories for me:  fusion, tradition, zing, and caloric intake:


  • Fusion, is, well, fusion.  The unexpected melding of different existing tastes.  The creation of new flavors, styles. Exciting the taste buds and secondary senses with things that they have never remotely tasted before.
  • Tradition are the foods and flavors that we know.  Foods that have been around for a while, but persist because they're, well, that good.  Subtle changes in flavor and recipes give new life to traditional foods, but they are essentially what you expect--order in a world of foodie chaos.
  • Zing explains itself.  Things that just go WOW!  It may be things that you already know, it may be something new.  But it sticks out like a sore thumb, but a good sore thumb.  It's like biting into a fresh, cold lime.  It's like standing up into an open cabinet door.  BAM!
  • Caloric intake is essentially efficiency food.  There are essentially three types of efficiency - economic efficiency, time efficiency, and effective efficiency.
    • Economic efficiency is getting the most calories for the buck.  It's that family pack of 10 pounds of ground beef that only costing you a dollar per 500 calories.  Economic efficiency is often not the healthiest, but doesn't have to be.
    • Time efficiency is getting the most calories in the shortest amount of time.  Whether it's a high amount of calories in a short amount of time, or prepared foods, or fast food even.  It's that big mac that you got for lunch because you didn't have any time.  It's that protein bar that you had instead of breakfast.
    • Effective efficiency is essentially health food.  It's getting what your body needs when it needs it with the least amount of excess.  It's getting your protein requirement with the least amount of cholesterol and fats.
    • Efficiency food is a moving target line between tasting pretty bad and being incredibly unhealthy.  But there are some rare good treats that meet all the efficiency categories, and are oh so rewarding to find.
I'm a cruel judge, and my expectations are high, but when you feed me right, I'm the most loyal dog you can find.
The way to my heart is through my stomach--literally, figuratively, and metaphorically.

No comments:

Post a Comment