The way to my heart is through my stomach - figuratively, metaphorically, and literally.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Mikimoto - New Orleans, LA


Mikimoto
3301 S. Carrollton Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70118
504-488-1881
www.mikimotosushi.com


Having lived on the same street as for several years, and only about 15 blocks away, it was definitely a regular haunt for me.  Great sushi, cheap prices, good sake?  It was within walking distance, it was on the way home from work, I had to pass it to go practically anywhere or come home from any place. And it has a drive through to call ahead and pick up from.  I'm actually surprised that I didn't have mercury poisoning during this time, or, rather, that does explain a lot....

Although I have tendencies to stick to a pattern when it comes to ordering things off a menu, I have had everything on the menu, and several things off the menu that you can only get by asking the chefs for them.  Or in my case, asking the chefs to make something that they would like to make.

I'm a huge sushi fan, and usually end up eating sushi at least once a week on average.  Maybe twice.  I think I've had sushi every single day for a week straight during some points in my life.  Everything is good at Mikimoto.  Well, almost everything.  From the many sushi restaurants that I've visited with a few exceptions, the worse the miso soup is, the better the sushi will be.  I've actually been able to predict how much I will like the sushi based upon my first bowl of miso.  So, if that wasn't clear enough, the miso at Mikimoto isn't very good.

That reminds me.  Sushi isn't sushi without fish.  All you California Roll, or Cucumber Roll, or Vegetable whatever Rolls - that isn't sushi.  That's rice and veggies.  And that's disgusting.  And no, I haven't had those items on Mikimoto's menu.  Technicality, but I feel like I had to clarify.

Mikimoto's sushi rice is exactly how I like it, a bit on the drier side with a touch more vinegar in comparison to expectation to other sushi restaurants.  I find that it really accentuates the flavor, moisture, and zestiness of the different fish that embraces the rice.

What sushi meal is complete without a bottle or three of sake shared amongst friends? Cold sake, unfiltered. Pick your brand for your ideal flavor. Warm sake? Never. There is a reason why there is only one type of warm sake. House. Leftover sake that needs to be served warm in order to hide the taste imperfections. So don't do it. Unless you like your warm sake that much.

All in all, Mikimoto is a great sushi restaurant that is relatively cheap and quick. They're focused on customer service, and great for grabbing a quick meal on the go, or sitting down and eating for a few hours. Did I mention it had a drive-through?


Mikimoto Japanese Restaurant & Sushi Bar on Urbanspoon


1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris,

    Your first posts just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/57/621290/restaurant/Gert-Town/Mikimoto-Japanese-Restaurant-Sushi-Bar-New-Orleans
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/31/1517529/restaurant/Baltimore/Honey-Pig-Gooldaegee-Ellicott-City
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/7/1496445/restaurant/DC/Chinatown/Ping-Pong-Dim-Sum-Washington

    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:

    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon

    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/57/6881/New-Orleans/Tastegasms.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar

    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.

    Let me know if you have any questions.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg at urbanspoon dot com

    ReplyDelete