The way to my heart is through my stomach - figuratively, metaphorically, and literally.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pots and Pans

I wonder, can pots and pans come with a nutritional facts label as well?
"Your copper sauté pan gives you 4% of your weekly copper limit for every 60 minutes that you keep your food in it at 400 degrees Fahrenheit before copper toxicity sets in!"
With all the latest worries and "experts" writing articles and giving speeches about your pots and pans and BPA loaded plastics, I'm kind of surprised that cooking and food storage implements now don't come with a nutritional facts label.
"Your cast iron wok gives you 0.1% of your daily iron needs on a 2000 calorie diet for every 10 minutes that you keep your food on it at 300 degrees Fahrenheit!"  
Today, there are so many different cooking surfaces available, all of them having its benefits and downfalls.  If you're so interested, you can read about them on Wikipedia, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookware_and_bakeware

The same goes with food storage.  "BPA Free" is now on food grade plastics everywhere.  Standing for Bisphenol A, this stuff supposedly causes genetic damage, especially in kids.

The question I ask is, how much does this stuff really affect a person, if at all?  We've been using Teflon for years before the study came out that it could potentially cause harm.  Today's new kid is anodized aluminum - but how reactive is it really?  5 years down the line, am I going to to find out I'm going to be all shiny or glow in the dark?

I personally cook on as much as possible on cast iron.  I only have a two range top grill and press, and a wok, but that does the job quite well for most things, interestingly enough, and if I just went and got a cast iron skillet and pot, I should be able to retire everything else.  Maybe if I get enough iron seepage into my food, I'll become Ironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment