The way to my heart is through my stomach - figuratively, metaphorically, and literally.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Moritomo - Concord, NH

32 Fort Eddy Road
Concord, NH 03301-7404
(603) 224-8363
www.moritomonh.com


Moritomo is one of only a few Japanese sushi restaurants that grace the Concord area, but that does not mean that this isn't a gem in itself.  The named rolls here are fantastic, and the sashimi is incredibly fresh and crisp.

They used uncolored ginger at Moritomo, which is a refreshing change from seeing the more well known pink color from regular pickled ginger.  Practically no one that I know notices any difference between the two, but everytime, I seem to be able to taste that the pink one is a little more artificially sweet than white ginger.  Splenda versus sugar.

I usually focus on the dishes in a restaurant that makes the restaurant unique.  Signature dishes.  Special rolls.  Menu items that get recommended right next to the restaurant name upon suggestion.  Every restaurant can come up with chicken tenders -- every restaurant does, in fact.  If I want chicken tenders, I'll go to a restaurant that is known for their chicken tenders, where someone has gone to me and said "Dude!  Go to the Puritan!  They've got the best chicken tenders!"

The difference between Moritomo's special rolls and regular rolls are quite significant, in my opinion.  The chefs definitely put a lot more focus and concentration in creating these delightful works of art, where they usually just slam the regular rolls together, as can be seen in the pictures.  Mind you, the special rolls are easily twice the price of regular rolls, but who goes to eat sushi to watch their wallets?  Not I, by far not.  I'm the guilty party to order all the special rolls on the menu.  I've tried about half of the 30 special rolls that are on the menu, and they're all good.  Grab one of ingredients that you like, one to experiment with, and another to share.  Five rolls are plenty.


They don't really take care to pack the leftovers well, usually just shoving everything into as few containers as possible, however, in my household, the leftovers are gone usually before the sun next rises, so not an issue.

All in all, Moritomo is quite a good sushi restaurant, focused on good service and traditional looks and feel.  Their designer sushi is fantastic, and really brings out the creativeness of the chefs.  I will definitely return back here again and again.

Moritomo Japanese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment